Faulty wire cause of downtown fire

Fire on 4th and Market (Sun Gazette Video Frame)

Fire on 4th and Market (Sun Gazette Video Frame)

Williamsport – The Friday fire that displaced several West Fourth Street apartment residents and disrupted downtown businesses was caused by a faulty extension cord, city fire Chief C. Dean Heinbach said Monday.”The extension cord failed,” he said.

Flames erupted when the cord was pinched by a metal box-spring in a second-floor room used as a makeshift office, according to Heinbach. The cord reportedly was plugged into a space heater.

Heinbach estimated the damage at $30,000 and said the building’s owner, Isara “Paul” Theeprasukprasan, did not have insurance.

The fire was contained to the office, which was destroyed. Almost all of the damage was in the office, which is perched atop a vacant storefront at 11 W. Fourth St.

Heinbach said Casale’s Subs, 13 W. Fourth St., was afflicted with minor water damage.

No injuries were reported, and the fire could have been worse, as firefighters kept it from spreading. Heinbach said Monday there was no damage to an adjacent but separate building containing Beltone Hearing Aid Service, 23 W. Fourth St.

Casale’s and Joy Thai Cuisine, 15 and 17 W. Fourth St., have been closed since Friday.

Full Story: www.sungazette.com

Advertisements
Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: